Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A dream can put your life in perspective!

For the past week and a half in the evenings and sometimes through the night, evil babies take over my sweet princesses!  The girls turn into crazed children that cry with such an ear piercing wails that could wake the dead!   This can go on for hours.  Sometimes getting them calmed down takes moving heaven and earth.  Other times they just want me to hold them.  The doctor says they are over tired and are overstimulated.  She took Aria yesterday and tried to show us a technique that was fail proof and would have her asleep in 10 seconds.  Aria proved her technique wrong!  The doctor after 10 minutes just stared at Aria in awe and said this was the first kid to fight sleep so hard.  At least my girl didn't make a liar out of me.  She finally fell asleep and the doctor looked at Nate and I with compassion and I think a little pity and wanted to make an appointment in 2 weeks to see how this cranky/sleep issue was going.  She gave us some ideas which we tried yesterday.  Our reward......the worst night EVER!  I usually go to sleep around 10pm and Nate has baby watch until 1am since he is a night owl.  At 11:30 he stormed into the bedroom and says he can't take it anymore.  They both had been screaming since 10:30.  They screamed the WHOLE night!  We took turns relieving each other because we both were at our whits end! I finally brought them out to the living room around 7am and Nate woke up at 9am so I could take a nap.  I feel asleep sooo fast.  I also had a dream.  When I need sleep my dreams get very realistic! In my dream I was pregnant with the girls still and got a call from my doctor that the girls were not going to make it!  It felt so real.  The emotions I had in my dream were such raw sadness and hopelessness. I couldn't stop crying in the dream.  I startled myself and woke up in a cold sweat and sitting straight up in bed.  In that minute I realized as hard as this is, what if that had happened!  It made me take a good look at my situation.  This is by far the hardest time I have ever had but they make it worth it.  I wouldn't trade them for 2 of the non crankiest babies on the planet.  I don't think I have ever taken my girls for granted but last night was a very hard night and I think I just needed a reminder of how lucky I have it.  I am sure there will be other nights it will be bad and I just need to remember it could be a lot worse.  I could be getting 8-10 hours of sleep a night but not have the joy my girls bring me.  

1 comment:

  1. This is so great. What a nice post :)

    Happy Christmas to you, nate and those perfect twins, Aria and Olly :)

    ReplyDelete